Ron can you provide some examples of how you made it work in the in-patient
rehab setting. You mentioned that you would see 2-3 people at a time, how did
you work with each of them on their own occupations?

Also, why is a cooking group, folding towels, not good occupations to work on?

Thanks,

~ Miranda ~

> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:31:45 -0400
> From: rdcar...@otnow.com
> To: OTlist@OTnow.com
> Subject: Re: [OTlist] Vision ~vs~ Reality
>
> In all honesty, the problem of OT is not directly related to the work
> setting. I've worked or have direct experience in acute care rehab,
> academia, very briefly in-patient hospital, outpatient, private
> practice, SNF and home health. ALL of these settings have a majority of
> OT's focusing treatment on the UE.
>
> As far as being in the trenches, that's a choice. I said "no" to
> inpatient, got fired from a SNF, quite rehab to work and academia. There
> are plenty of jobs.
>
> But, the problem is not the location. The problem is the therapist. If
> an OT focuses on occupation, they WILL NOT BE UE THERAPISTS. You can't
> be both! Many people claim to do it, but I think that's a line of junk.
>
> I fully understand that being in a SNF is VERY tough. The primary
> problem in that setting is not UE ~vs~ occupation, its fraud ~vs~
> medically necessary treatment. I got fired because I REFUSED to treat
> patient's like cattle. Neither the 'system' nor I were willing to
> change, so they let me go during my probationary period. No harm and no
> foul, but there was no way I was going to cheat Medicare and rob
> patients in that system.
>
> I first started practicing occupation-based treatment while working at
> an in-patient rehab hospital. It was routine to see 2 patients at a time
> and 3 at a time wasn't unheard of. I couldn't spend an hour with each
> patient but the time I had WAS spent on improving their desired
> occupation(s). I wasn't perfect, but in my opinion, it was a heck of a
> lot more therapeutic than having patients fold laundry, do dowel
> exercises in a large group, wash windows, cook group, "sanding" a table
> top, playing childish games, etc.
>
> At times, I despise my profession because of the way so many adult
> phys-dys OT practice. Our professional identity STINKS. In fact, I don't
> even think we have an identity. And if we do, it's pretty dang crappy.
> Today, I made up a flyer to distribute to my home health company's
> nurses. Here it is:

> Occupational Therapy: What Is It?
>
> 1) Education:
>
> a) OT’s have either a bachelor, masters or doctoral degree
>
> b) OT assistants have an associate degree
>
> 2) Definitions of occupation:
>
> a) Any activity that occupies a person's attention
>
> b) Activity that a person does to take care of themselves and be
> productive
>
> 3) History of OT:
>
> a) Founded in 1914
>
> b) Originally performed by nurses
>
> c) Use of crafts to restore meaning and value to injured and
> impaired soldiers returning from war
>
> d) Later, moved to the medical model of care
>
> 4) Current Practice:
>
> a) Very diverse profession
>
> b) Work across the life span because all people have
> occupational needs/issues

> [...]

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics.
Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_photos_072009&cat=sports