Hi Ron
Some time ago there was a discussion about the expertise of OT with very
good input. At that time I offered the following definition. There was
no reaction to it. I challenge everyone to find an OT practice of which
they approve that does not fit this statement about our expertise.

My formulation of the expertise of the profession of Occupational
Therapy (not necessarily the expertise of individual therapists) is;

1. to become CONSCIOUSLY aware of mismatches between client abilities
and task demands (cognitive, psychological, social and physical), which
interfere with the performance of needed, wanted, expected or potential
occupations;
2. to analyze the mismatches; and
3. to design and offer interventions to mediate the mismatches.

In various contexts and circumstances there is much more to say, of
course, but what does not fit?

I acknowledge the thinking from this list, the Canadian practice
document (Enabling Occupation II)especially the Taxonomic Code of
Occupational Performance (TCOP), and the work I have been doing with
Sarah Austin to articulate the theory of the cognitive disabilities
model developed by Claudia Kay Allen in seeing that our expertise is a
particular application of the concept of occupation.

Blessings, Joan
403 652 7928