There is much more to the term function than physical functioning and
physical task perfomance. The fact that the PT is referencing the occupation
of marathon running is good as they are giving the reason they will be doing
their intervention. It doesn't lead me to say that every person in health
care is working on function. Most are fixing structures and hoping you go
off and have no more problems.

As a rule OTs incorporate many more aspects into their thought process. The
idea that motivational, cognitive abilities, and social needs could be
playing into the marathoner's impaired function is not discussed.

I have many more questions even about this person's barriers to his physical
functioning. The ability barriers to the functional task are often complex
and interwoven. Is his running causing ongoing damage to the shoulder or is
he guarding his shoulder and throwing off his whole stride. Would a pain
management solution help him normalize his movement to allow everything to
correct (could we slap an interferrential machine over his scapula and
retrain movement?) Does he need to incorporate a recovery period into his
training or does he refuse crosstraining for motivational reasons? Does he
perform his shoulder stabilizing exercises on his own or is he just going to
grind through the pain? Is his workplace set up to accomodate his shoulder
injury?

Do the other aspects of his personal abilities contibute to these issues?
For instance, how does he handle stress and what are its physical
manifestations if any?

These are functional questions. A holistic approach is essential to finding
why a person does what they do and how they do it. That is the leadership
that OT can provide when they are involved with these types of cases. How
much more effective could a PT be if they had license to dicuss these other
issues? As of now we could help this runner and many others but it is
unlikely that any OT will be invited to be involved.

To use Joan's terms, what are the real "mismatches" for this guy? What can
we do to get him back in the (arm) "swing" of things? The more we can
incorporate in terms of approaches the better.

Yours,

Ed Kaine, OTR/L, RFT
President of the American League of Functional Therapists

www.FunctionalTherapist.org <http://www.functionaltherapist.org/>