From: otlist-boun...@otnow.com [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com]on
Behalf Of Angela King (ADHB)
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 16:56
To: otlist@otnow.com
Subject: Re: [OTlist] OTlist Digest, Vol 74, Issue 1

On this whole issue of the neglect thing I have a couple more things to
add, because like Ron I have an opinion on just about everything (except
the whole UE thing!!).

Ron I understand where you are coming from in that neglect can be
difficult to improve but in most clients some degree of improvement does
occur.  Yes a lot of that is down to spontaneous recovery but most of
what improves post stroke is down to spontaneous recovery and it is our
job as therapists to provide the correct stimulation to the brain during
this time when it is trying to fix itself.  If we neglect the neglect
when the brain is geared up to heal then we are not maximising the
improvements that can be made.  Well that's what I tell myself anyway!
Things like arranging the room so that a person must attend to that side
is quick and easy and if it gives them 2% improvement that is a start.

The significant other side of this is the education and compensation
side of things.  I have had clients with very bad neglect who through
intensive training have learned to compensate for their neglect.  I
personally think that education is one of the best things we can do for
our clients.  I try and train my stroke clients to know what I know so
that when they leave me they can be their own therapist.  My clients
probably know more about neuroplasticity and grading activities than
many OT's! That way they can continue to improve if they are motivated
to. I have an ex-client with a shocking neglect who uses a power
wheelchair for mobility.  She does crash into doorways occasionally when
distracted but for the most part she is ok and has the freedom to get
herself around (inside anyway)- all down to compensation.

So even if someone months post stroke has an awful neglect and are not
making spontaneous recovery I'd be teaching them how to compensate for
it in daily life, because that is what we as OT's do!  We don't give up
on people with paraplegia because they don't walk again.

Haha my opinion yet again.

Angela King NZROT, Assessor
Outpatients, Directions Appraisal Team - REHAB PLUS
54 Carrington Road
Pt Chevalier, Auckland
Auckland District Health Board

#########
Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal8e6's comprehensive email content security
solution.
Download a free evaluation of MailMarshal at www.marshal.com
#########