Hello to everyone on the OTRS team - and thank you all very much for
developing an opensource package that worked practically right out of
the box.

I've been struggling with 'RT' [a 'competing' freeware ticket tracker]
for several weeks - and can't get past what the RT authors describe as
'myriad dependancies'. CPAN would churn along, installing dozens of perl
modules, and finally bomb out on one and fail to acheive 'make install'.

To the 'RT' team's credit though, I was trying the build against a
postgresql back-end, and they advise MySQL about as strongly as you guys
do. I'm no DBA - but I expect our ticketing system to scale pretty
rapidly once deployed, and heard that MySQL has some growing pains in
large installations...so I opted for the postgresql learning curve out
of the box. Probably not one of the smartest decisions I've made this
year.

Almost fed-up with failed RT installation attempts, I found OTRS on the
SuSE-8.0 distribution and gave it a go. This time around I was prepared
to RTFM - and did so [fortunately] - which saved me the headaches of
installing the buggy release that shipped with SuSE. The downloaded
release installed near-flawlessly - the mistakes were my own - I'm
learning MySQL as I go.

After perhaps 10 or 15 hours of work over the last 12 days, I've got a
working OTRS deployed on our network and I and my colleagues are giving
the system a test drive prior to a production build. So far the response
and feedback from co-workers has been very positive.

The test box is a pIII/366 laptop with 128M RAM and 14G hd. We're
discussing hardware for the production box - obviously not going to be a
laptop! We've a few idle Netra T1 machines on hand though...

Q1. Anyone foresee any issues with deploying OTRS on a SuSE/Sparc box?

Q2. Did 'GenerateTicketNumber' make it into BETA-6? It's sure not to be
found in Config.pm. Review of the 'request' archive seems to indicate
it's in a separate module somewhere? I'd like to use Date as part of the
Ticket# rather than just an auto-incremented number appended to
SystemID. I tried adding this to ~/Kernel/Config.pm:

# TicketNumberGenerator
$Self->{TicketNumberGenerator} = 'Kernel::System::Ticket::Number::Date';

and doing 'rcotrs restart' - but Ticket# format didn't change [it's
still '1010xxx]

Q3. Heirarchical queues [sub-queues] still on the to-do list for 1.0?

Q4. Any idea if MySQL supports raw disk-space vice filesystem, and if
so, how to configure a raw partition in Linux? [question from a
colleague]

I expect we'll be keeping the list busy in the days and weeks to come.

Best regards,

Drew M. Mooney