Hallo,

Yesterday I installed OpenTRS BETA7 on FreeBSD 4.6.2-p2 with PostgreSQL. The install went fine once I got all the Perl modules installed, though I think I need to setup mod_perl to get the speed I'd like. Some comments/suggestions...

- in the INSTALL document, step 2, it would be useful if you mentioned that the otrs user needs to be in the nogroup group to work properly later with SetPermissions.pl etc.

- to get the initial PostgreSQL-specific schema file working I had to do the insert twice - the first time there were many errors about missing tables, but the second time it worked fine (I'm guessing because the tables were there from the first insert :). This should probably be documented, or the order of table creation changed around in the SQL.

- I had to do a "chgrp -R www $HOME/var/article" to allow Apache to write copies of the messages sent. Maybe document this?

- Most of the general otrs config seems to be in the Kernel/Config.pm file, which I'd assume is overwritten if I do an upgrade. Might be worth looking into something like Mailman or FreeBSD has, where the application has default settings which are overridden (if needed) by a file that's not included in the application tarball. Makes upgrades easier. :)

I think that's it for now, just getting into setting up users/groups and queues now, so will probably have more to comment on later. :)

Also, I can definitely host an FTP mirror in Canada if there's interest, and possibly a demo system depending what's needed for that...

Thanks for the cool software!

Bryan

--
Bryan Fullerton http://bryanfullerton.com/
Core Competency uunet.ca!gts!cspace!bryanf