There is a document included in the distribution called UPGRADE, it
would be worth reading beforehand except with for an RPM distribution
the latest version would only become available after the package was
installed :-)

I think here the trick is to use

rcotrs restart-force

rather than

rcotrs restart

to restart after applying the new version.

I have been having a few problems loading edited scripts and when I
examined the rcotrs/otrs script more closely I discovered that the
restart option (or more accurately stop) does not shutdown the Web and
SQL servers, the restart-force and stop-force options do (well at least
on SuSE they do). The stop option which is used in restart only disables
the cron jobs which is useful doing a cron update.

On SuSE rcapache restart would work as well but other distros may use an
Apache restart option that would not guarantee the recompilation of the
perl scripts.