On Wednesday, March 10, 2004 8:12 PM
Joseph Saracino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1.  Does the system "auto-bounce" messages that are too large so the
> Customer knows we couldn't receive it?  (Our current testing suggests
> this isn't the case).

The answer is: No, sorry. This is because once a message arrives in OTRS
claws, it will get processed and OTRS relies on it's surronding servers'
capabilities to handle the size. Ie.: If MySQL can't store it, OTRS will
yike. If your file system can't store it, OTRS will yike. If you
interrupt ther mail transfer, OTRS will... yike.

If a message were too big for your system to handle it (for example,
your MySQL is able to store a hugey of 16MB, but a 20MB block arrives),
you should stop those at SMTP receive time.

> 2.  Assuming the answer to the previous question is no, would the
> right way to handle this be at the mailserver?  That is, should we
> configure the incoming POP3 mailserver to reject anything greater than
> $MaxFileUpload (so the system effectively never sees it)?

The answer is: Well... yes, but it surely isn't the "incoming" POP3
server, as such simply doesn't exist. POP3 servers do never receive
mails, but serve them. What you mean is your SMTP server receiving mails
and your POP3 server serving them away right after. Ok, enough hairs
split. ;)

> 3.  Is there another solution people are using to make sure Customers
> know their large email attachment wasn't received?

Your mailserver, which is the entry point for messages, were the right
place to reject them, as well as a spam filter behind/in it.

Robert Kehl

PS: Who was the one to invent attachements? Grrr... ;)

--
((otrs.de)) :: OTRS GmbH :: Norsk-Data-Str. 1 :: 61352 Bad Homburg
         http://www.otrs.de/ :: Tel. +49 (0)6172 4832388