I have switched to "ArticleStorageFS" as is recommednded for large
Attachements. Now I have discovered, that the plain.txt file is nothing
more than the complete MIME message.

This would not be bad, but this means it already contains all of the
attachements. So every article directory will need to hold roughly
twice as much space as one would guess.

I am now wondering which rationale is behind this storage layout.

Please don't get me wrong, as I am (almost) perfectly happy with this, since
I am still trying to render these RFC 2557 multipart/related beasts.
Now that I have found, that plain.txt still contains everything I need,
I again have hope to be able to render it, since other perl based
programs like OpenWebMail can do it too.

Might it be, that I am not aware of other methods of sending attachements,
that are not contained within plain.txt?

regards,
Roland