On Tuesday, May 11, 2004 7:11 PM
Charles Gagnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was wondering what most people did for user management. I noticed

Most people use MySQL, followed by LDAP and then PostgreSQL. A few
people use Oracle, a few are in the process of trying to use MS-SQL.
Most switching occurs towards LDAP.

> OTRS seems to manage its own user space and I was wondering if there
> was 1) a reason for this

Portability. Speed. Ease.

> and 2) a way to have OTRS use either
> regular UNIX usernames/passwords combos or use any other external
> sources like NIS/NIS+ or LDAP.

Neither PAM nor NIS/NIS+ are directly supported, but LDAP is, alongside
HTTP_AUTH, what brings NIS/NIS+ and PAM back into the game, if you like
them to.

hth,

Robert Kehl

--
((otrs.de)) :: OTRS GmbH :: Norsk-Data-Str. 1 :: 61352 Bad Homburg
         http://www.otrs.de/ :: Tel. +49 (0)6172 4832388