On Wednesday, April 28, 2004 7:32 PM
Tyler Hepworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I setup OTRS via rpm on Suse.  It works wonderfully.  But, I have a
> few questions about certain aspects of it.  I noticed that the setup
> created a system account for the user "otrs".  What is the default
> password for this account?

There is none. You become OTRS by using 'su':

linux:~# su - otrs
linux:~# whoami
otrs

If you get 'root' as the output of the 'whoami' command, it's most
likely your user 'otrs' has no shell assigned to it:

linux:~# getent passwd otrs
otrs:x:500:500:OTRS user:/opt/otrs:/bin/false

Give 'otrs' a bit of comfort and assign the 'bash' shell:

linux:~# usermod -s /bin/bash otrs
linux:~# getent passwd otrs
otrs:x:500:500:OTRS user:/opt/otrs:/bin/bash

> Does the OTRS software depend on this
> user account

Yes!

> and password,

No.

> or can I change the password to something
> else?

You need no password and we do not recommend it. Use 'su'.

> Also, how do I restart the cron service found at
> /opt/otrs/bin/Cron.sh? When I try to restart it via my regular user
> account, I get the following message:

Not that way. Assign the shell as noted above and use:

linux:~# su - otrs -c '~/bin/Cron.sh start'

> "No cronjobs in /home/tylerh/var/cron found!  * Check the $HOME

To create the default cronjobs, use (as root):

linux:~# cd var/cron
linux:~# for foo in *.dist; do cp $foo `basename $foo .dist`; done

As usual, rtfm: http://doc.otrs.org/1.2/en/html/cronjob.html ;)

Regards,

Robert Kehl

--
((otrs.de)) :: OTRS GmbH :: Norsk-Data-Str. 1 :: 61352 Bad Homburg
         http://www.otrs.de/ :: Tel. +49 (0)6172 4832388