On Friday, May 07, 2004 3:29 PM
Matthias Eichler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As every incoming email generates a new ticket in OTRS

Not quite true. Incoming emails that are identified as follow-ups to
existing tickets won't create a new ticket, but will in fact be added to
the existing one.

> I want some integration that the monitoring server does
> not sends mails, but opens new tickets, inserts follow-
> ups and also closes tickets (on recovery of a problem, e.g.)

Despite the latter, this weren't a problem. OTRS' core function is to
open up tickets on receival of new emails and add follow-ups to existing
ones, ie. track tickets.

Closing tickets via email isn't impossible at all, but requires coding.

> - if it is the best way to (mis-)use the GenericAgent
>   for such a job?

Strike through the (mis-), as GA is meant for performing tasks like
these.

> - does the GenericAgent can create new tickets at all,
>   or does the GenericAgent is always based on already
>   existing tickets?

No, GA can't, and yes, GA can. GA runs on existing tickets, but you may
well run shell scripts from within GA, from within you may send an email
which opens up a new ticket, if you want.

> - should I write a whole OTRS-LowLevel-Module which

Depends on your demand. Why not? A maximum of flexibility combines with
the highest complexity, though. See below.

Btw, what are low-level modules? Or better: what were high-level modules
then?

>   analyses the incoming events and inserts directly
>   into the database?

No, under seldom circumstances only you should write a thing directly to
the DB. Try to prevent it wherever possible.

Use Procmail (or your mail server directly) or the lightweight, but
integrated version: OTRS' PostMaster::PreFilterModule capabilities. grep
Kernel/Config/Defaults.pm for them.

You are allowed to set X-OTRS-headers from within Procmail or the
PreFilter modules.

> - is there any better (generic) API available for OTRS?

We believe our model to be quite sophisticated and usuable. No, there's
no hidden connec to OTRS than the documented one.

Regards,

Robert Kehl

--
((otrs.de)) :: OTRS GmbH :: Norsk-Data-Str. 1 :: 61352 Bad Homburg
         http://www.otrs.de/ :: Tel. +49 (0)6172 4832388