I just tried with Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3 on Mac OS X and couldn't reproduce the problem there either.
But I think I might have lead: Firefox uses a fixed-width font in the input field and displays 78 characters per line. Safari uses a variable-width font and displays more than 100 characters per line. After sending, OTRS then seems to wrap the mail itself, which doesn't do anything in Firefox as the text is only 78 characters wide. But with Safari, the long lines are wrapped and leave around 30 characters in the second line...

Essentially, the "width" parameter of the input field doesn't mean that it's content is wrapped at this width, it just specifies the display width. I'm not sure if any other browsers do the same.

Frederik