There's an option you can use in Config.pm:

   # AgentQueueSortDefault
   # (default sort order of the queue view / after priority sort)
   # ASC: oldest on top, default
   # DESC: youngest on top
   $Self->{AgentQueueSortDefault} = 'DESC';

Found this already, but it simply reverses the existing order, not at all what I'm looking for. Jack Doyle expressed succinctly what I'm after, which to me seems like a very straightforward way to order messages.

Any idea how this might be achieved?

Anybody else interested in this type of message queue sorting?

Why do you need this ordering option? Maybe there's another way of doing
what you need to do ;) I think that you'll face the problem exposed before sooner or
later.

I need this ordering option to prevent the starvation scenario I described previously. I want to make sure that I don't end up spending more time on certain tickets just because they were opened a long time ago.

Alain.