Hello!

        Some quick answers below...

On 27 Apr 2005 at 20:35, Carlos Echavarria wrote:

> > Q#2:
> >
> > You can't delete users, but you can disable their access,
> > effectively deleting them.  Since OTRS is a database, if you wanted
> > to delete a user you would have to delete all their respective
> > tickets, otherwise you would lose the referential integrity of the
> > platform as a whole.  The last thing you want in a database is
> > orphaned tickets.  Instead of making provisions for the mass
> > deletion of a user's tickets (who would want this anyways?  You'd
> > loose historical data.), they've made a way to disable that user's
> > account.  The user will still be listed, but from the users
> > standpoint, he no longer exists.  An override for test users or
> > ability to hide users would be nice, but that's another story.
>
> So basically one has to really have the design of the whole system
> before starting to define clients, customers, etc? What did you do
> when you started using OTRS?

        It's very important to get a piece of paper and write there how you
would
manage your tickets: where would they come, from which customers, to what
queues
will they go, who will manage them in your company, etc. You'll probably have
some
kind of procedures right now (before OTRS) that could be a good starting
point... if
you're satisfied with them, of course ;)

> > Q#3:
> >
> > I wouldn't mess in the database yourself, unless you have a good
> > knowledge of databases and the complex schema schema which OTRS
> > uses.  In any case, BACKUP FIRST!  You might be better off
> > reinstalling.  On suse 9.1, you can turn a fresh system into a
> > functional installation in around 10 minutes flat if you use the
> > RPM.  Just be sure to move your config file over if you use anything
> > special (IE: LDAP/Active Directory.).
>
> Ok, so handling mysql is out of the question, hope to finish the pdf
> tonight so I can read it over again tomorrow :)

        I have a separate OTRS installation for testing. When I want to test
something
from the beginning, I set "$Self->{SecureMode} = 0;" from Config.pm, then I use
the
web installer (http://host/otrs/installer.pl) to drop the database and let the
installer create
it again. It takes me 1 minute to have a fresh OTRS database :-)

        Also, if I ever need to test something using the data from the
production
system, I would take a database backup from the production system and restore
it in
my testing server. I haven't tried this yet, but it should work...

        In my short experience with OTRS, I didn't had the necessity to touch
the
database directly for anything.

        Good luck!

---