I'm afraid it's not going to work unless your server administrator is willing to install it for you, since the installation involves adding system users, cronjobs and apache configuration, etc. Usually not things you can control as a user of a shared hosting environment.

Not true, I run OTRS on a shared hosting account without any problems. Only thing I couldn't do myself was a cronjob for POP3 fetchmail, but my hosting provider installed that for me. You may have to edit some more Config parameters and use .htaccess files or other tweaks, but it sure is possible, at least with my hosting provider it is.

Regards,
Richard