Hi everybody,

I don't want to start a programming language discussion, but perl is not
the cause if otrs is too slow for you.
See
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=perl&l
ang2=php for a comparision of perl and php according to speed. (Ok, I
admid, I'm a perl fan ;)

I don't want to blame the otrs-people - thanks for a great software! -
but personally I think it's more in the design than in the language.

Some ideas:
* One thing is IMHO the template system - otrs might benefit greatly
from a better (faster) system like e.g. HTML::Templates.
* All parameters are passed by value not by reference (well allmost
all). So there's a lot of copying in memory.
* If you turn on mysql query log, you see that there are *lots* of
queries. I don't know the system well enough (and there is the otrs
caching mechanism) but maybe...
* All the stylesheets and javascript is included in the HTML pages,
instead of using extra files. This increases the webserver load (and the
amount of delivered data).

These are only ideas of course... and just from someone who only worked
for a short time with otrs.
And who is just guessing and did no benchmarks...

Greetings, Gerhard