On Oct 30, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Andy Lubel wrote:
How many agents, just you? How many customers? You simply may not have enough of either to justify using a HelpDesk system such as OTRS, which is
geared towards SMB to enterprise customers.

No, a dozens or so of us and hundreds of customers.

Metrics also translate into SLA's. If you care about the customer then you
would care to see how well you are responding to his needs?

This is exactly the problem. Any one of us can and should be able to update a ticket to help a customer. Or just drop a note into a ticket to warn the person working on it about X, Y or Z. Instead, we have to

unlock the ticket
assign the ticket to ourselves
update the ticket
unlock the ticket
assign the ticket back to the original person
...etc

In short, it's 10x the effort it should take to submit a quick reply to the customer or a quick note over to the person working on it.

Can you tell me one system/application you do think does a better job of
making it convenient for the agent to work customer submitted issues?

RT and even the ancient Request do a better job for two very simple reasons:

1. Easy to see everything in a queue -- 1 click or 1 command, not 5 clicks to search.
2. Easy to update a ticket without having to take ownership of it.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation