Ah, I just formulated some further thought:

Could I simply create 1 queue per agent?

That way, in this IT department, there would be one 'main' queue, and
when a ticket is assigned or when someone takes ownership of the ticket,
it is moved to an agent's individual queue.
The department manager should always be able to view ALL tickets in ALL
queues.

I have a 4 person + 1 contractor Information Technology Department
here.  This would probably be pretty simple to implement and manage I
think.

Would OTRS support this sort of scenario?

I think the main thing I'm missing or not understanding from the
documentation is Practical Working Examples.

Are there any Configuration or Structure Examples, some Practical
Working Scenarios documented somewhere?

Thanks!

-Kris Jacobs

PS:
Oh wow, Bad Homburg!
I spent a few years, from '89 to '93, in Babenhausen.
I *loved* the country and the people!   :)

>>> Shawn Beasley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/27/2007 02:10 >>>
Dear Kris,

> I still do not understand what is meant by "locking" a ticket.
>
> I do not understand why a ticket would be locked, unlocked, or what
either of those terms mean in the context of an OTRS ticket.

A ticket lock is there to remove a ticket from the main queue (make it
invisible) so that two agents are not busy working on the same ticket.
As well a ticket will be locked when an answer is sent per email. It
makes sense because the agent who was working on the ticket (send the
email) is sometimes waiting on an answer. This prevents doubled
efforts
on one ticket.

When the ticket is locked it is visible in the locked tickets section
(uppper right hand section of the agent screen)

The ticket is unlocked when it is visible in the queue structure. This
alarms all agents who have this queue selected, or who navigate to
this
queue, that the ticket is free and needs to be attended

I hope I have helped you.

If you need detailed training in OTRS, feel free to contact us.

((enjoy))

Shawn Beasley

--
((otrs)) :: OTRS AG :: Europaring 4 :: 94315 Straubing
    Fon: +49 (0)9421 56818 0 :: Fax: +49 (0) 9421 56818 18

Geschäftssitz: Bad Homburg
Amtsgericht Bad Homburg, HRB 10751
Steuernummer: 003/240/97505

Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Burchard Steinbild
Vorstandsvorsitzender: André Mindermann