Hi,

The problems persisted on 2.2.6 though. (2.2.6 has read access to
 > the live system DB, but can't write to it).
If 2.2.6 won't be able to read any standard answers, old tickets
 > or any other information (this includes usernames) from our
usage via 2.1.4, this proves problematic.

I have the same problem like you. I have try a upgrade from 2.1.8 to 2.2.6 on a backup machine.

I found the solution:

I have the problem with a dump of the mysql database when it's done with phpMyadmin.

I have no problem when the dump is done with mysqldump

Serge