I have tried different linux distros, different versions of postgresql and
have even found a freebsd user with the same error. I can't get
a regular database owner in postgresql to work with otrs it has to be
superuser some reason. That is not  good security wise. Once I give super
user to config.pm database user it works.

I found a freebsd user with the same error message:
freebsd same error message on [EMAIL PROTECTED] login:
http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.ports.bugs/browse_thread/thread/de34eaeecfa98a24?pli=1

syslog errors I get:
Sep 19 15:38:26 help OTRS-CGI-10[6480]:
[Error][Kernel::System::Valid::ValidIDsGet][Line:120]: ERROR:  permission
denied for relation valid , SQL: 'SELECT id FROM valid WHERE name = 'valid''

Sep 19 15:38:26 help OTRS-CGI-10[6480]:
[Error][Kernel::System::Auth::DB::Auth][Line:96]: ERROR:  syntax error at or
near ")" at character 51 , SQL: 'SELECT pw, id  FROM  users  WHERE  valid_id
IN (  ) AND  login = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]''
Sep 19 15:38:26 help OTRS-CGI-10[6480]:
[Notice][Kernel::System::Auth::DB::Auth] User: [EMAIL PROTECTED] doesn't exist
or is invalid!!! (REMOTE_ADDR: 10.254.7.157)

It has somethingto do with using postgresql if is use mysql it works like a
charm.
Anyone have any pointers.