Quoting "Rudi Schmitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
I have tried different linux distros, different versions of postgresql and
have even found a freebsd user with the same error. I can't get
a regular database owner in postgresql to work with otrs it has to be
superuser some reason. That is not  good security wise. Once I give super
user to config.pm database user it works.

This has nothing to do with the distro.

The otrs user you've created doesn't have permissions to do squat.

Try this:

Login as 'postgres' to create the OTRS database and user:

% psql -Upostgres template1
template1=# CREATE DATABASE otrs;
CREATE DATABASE

Now connect to the new DB:

template1=# \c otrs
You are now connected to database "otrs".
otrs=#

Now create the user:

otrs=# CREATE USER otrs WITH PASSWORD 'abc';
CREATE ROLE

Now user 'otrs' can login to database 'otrs' and own everything (eg, run the $HOME_OTRS/scripts/database/otrs-*postgresql.sql using your new user 'otrs').

You could also create the user and database, then grant the user perms in that DB:

GRANT ALL ON DATABASE otrs TO otrs;

You could also have created the database with the owner (already created) being 'otrs':

CREATE DATABASE otrs WITH OWNER otrs;

etc.

Don't forget to update Kernel/Config.pm with the correct details:

$Self->{Database} = 'otrs';
$Self->{DatabaseUser} = 'otrs';
$Self->{DatabasePw} = 'abc';
$Self->{DatabaseDSN} = "DBI:Pg:...