John,

What is exactly slow in your setup?
Have you tried something like iperf to make sure that it is not a
bandwith issue from your OTRS box to the mssql box?
Have you measured the query on the Microsoft SQL server end to make
sure that there is no way the query can be optimized?
What is the load on the MS SQL box and on the OTRS box when the query
is executed?

The main point is, there are many factors into play that can cause
your issues. You have to rule them out one by one.
I have worked with a Perl DBI >> MS SQL Server connection that
performed really well; so you should be able to achieve good
performance.

Kind regards,
--
Michiel Beijen