My connection string was exactly the same; just the server name,
authentication information and the 1433 server port really.

I was not asking if you had enough CPU power in your OTRS servers but
if the CPU usage went up when you executed the SQL statement. This can
be an indicator to where the bottle neck is. For instance, if the CPU
usage of your OTRS box goes way up if you run the SQL statement
against MSSQL (and, for instance, a lot more than if you repeat the
same statement against a mysql database) you have an indication that
the MSSQL driver might be the issue.

Is your OTRS installation on Windows or Unix/Linux? Do you use
something like FreeTDS to connect to MSSQL?
--
Michiel Beijen
Software Consultant