It might be better to say that OTRS setup on Windows with MSSQL / IIS isn’t
difficult – “easy” would be too generous. There are some extra steps that you
must perform to get it up and running but it isn’t too bad.

However, seeing what it is that you want to do, what about this configuration:

Windows XP

OTRS | MySQL & IIS6

The reasons I would opt for MySQL in this case: cost, easier integration as a
backup solution, consistency with live environment.

If you went with MSSQL on the Windows box, then you would have to deal with
restoring MySQL database into MSSQL and who needs that hassle?

Once you have your Windows OTRS working, your failure-over process should be a
snap. Granted, I am not a MySQL person; but I would expect that your process
could be to take automatic backups of your live database and save them to a
file share or some other location not on the live server. Could take the backup
every 15 minutes, hour, whatever is best for your needs. If a failure occurs,
simply take the backup and restore it to the Windows MySQL instance and you’ll
be all set. It’s all about the database – once it’s all setup, you shouldn’t
have to deal with modifying anything on the web server side when restoring a
backup.

Nathan Campbell
Dallas Symphony Orchestra