On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Jason Dupuy wrote:

Still working on the specifics but I'm stumbling on the email settings.
I'm just about ready to go into production, but confused about the email
settings.

 Why are you sending out emails with the technicians email address?  If
 people email help.d...@xxx.com, you should reply from help.d...@xxx.com.
 As long as the client replies with the ticket number in tact (which they
 mostly do), you can have the ticket locked to the technician who last
 responded.

 The technician should NOT reply to the client from their own email client,
 if you want OTRS involved in everything.  The reason: the replies are sent
 directly to the customer from the email client, and not stored in OTRS,
 thus minimizing the value of OTRS: keeping a record of all communication
 with the customer.

 Process flow:

    1. Customer emails help.d...@xxx.com
    2. OTRS pulls it in
    3. Technicians LOG INTO OTRS ON THE WEB after getting email
       notifications to their individual accounts
    4. If the ticket is locked to them or is a reply, it will be in the
       "Requiring Response" section of the Dashboard.  If not, it will be
       in the "new ticket" section
    5. They click on it, read it, then compose (click empty message by
       default) IN OTRS a reply.  This reply will go out as
       "From: help.d...@xxx.com"
    6. Customer replies go to help.d...@xxx.com
    7. OTRS will store a copy, as well as lock the ticket (by default 3
       days I think) to the responder.  If the customer responds in that
       time, the ticket is locked to that tech.  If after 3 days, any tech
       can pick up the ticket and respond, as well as see the entire
       history of that ticket, regardless of who responded.

Am I making sense at all?

 No. :-)