I'm getting very poor performance from OTRS, which I'm narrowing down to
it making up to 1000 database requests just to fulfill a simple request.

Most of them appear to be related to role<>groups<>users:

SELECT ... FROM groups g, group_role gu WHERE g.valid_id IN (1) AND ...
gu.permission_key IN ( 'create','rw') AND gu.role_id IN (10)

The load is low on both machines, but the latency is killing us. Creating
a new ticket is excruciating slow -- up to 10s waiting for the Assignment
group / Service popups to fill up once you've selected the ticket type.

Any idea how to optimize this? This looks like a rather deep rooted
problem. This kind of request could only be optimized, as far as I can
tell, by moving the treatment to a stored proc or something. Or am I
doing something very wrong?

Note: this is 2.4.3 with corresponding ITSM module. I can ditch the ITSM
module if needed.