Hi Scott,

the agent can also use "compose answer" to the customer.

For this you need to assign "Responses" to "Queues". "Admin" -> "Responses <->
Queue", select your queue and assign min. one response to this queue.

After that you will find at least one possible "Response" in Ticket Zoom view
(right site, directly under the customer information).

 -Martin