We have also been caught by these endless loops of two autoresponders having a
conversation, and agree that setting X-OTRS-Ignore or X-OTRS-Loop works well.
However, it’s then necessary to set a Postmaster Filter for every such case
(I’ve no feel for how many such filters we can set before impacting on
performance).  Usually you only discover the loop once it’s in progress as you
don’t always know what is going to send you an automated reply.

There are some other circumstances under which loops are caused – possibly of
our own making (having agent notifications set, where the agent email address
is the same as our incoming help mail address – that generated a loop going
into the ticket body).
I have seen mention somewhere of some ‘loop protection’ built into OTRS but
haven’t any info on just what it is and what it protects against.
It would be good if there were some more general mechanism to flag or stop
loops – most mail servers have this kind of functionality of course.
Regards
Phil