Jan's problem may be because of actually duplicated emails, though.
Multiple POP3 environments could mean users may be sending to multiple
addresses simultaneously.
Marco's issue seems to be emails that aren't removed from the mailbox.
This could be for different reasons, among which, for instance, gmail
account settings that aren't set to allow items to be deleted when
downloaded. Or just a stuck message. If another mailbox utility can be
used to successfully POP3/delete the entrie(s), this may be adequate.
If it, too, can't remove the email entries, the problem is at the
server.