The old system is home grown, so I can export the data in whatever format that
OTRS accepts. I want to know how the import would work and what the limitations
are.

Unless you're prepared to do a lot of internal database manipulation, and you
REALLY understand the OTRS database schema, I'd do the following:

1)      Leave the existing system up, but force it into a read-only mode so
that new entries cannot be made.

2)      In OTRS, open new tickets to correspond with the old system tickets,
with the entire new ticket content being a URL pointing to the entry in the old
system. The easiest way to do that is probably to forge incoming emails to OTRS
with the old ticket information (write a script to fake up a SMTP message and
inject it into the incoming message queue in OTRS. Do not include headers that
would generate outbound emails to the original ticket initiators).

3)      Edit the database entries to have the date information from the old
tickets (ie, let OTRS create all the new ticket structure entries, then alter
them to reflect the dates from the old system.)

4)      Start creating all  your new tickets in the new OTRS.

5)      Aggressively expire the information in the old system. You shouldn't
keep that stuff forever anyway, and if there are specific items, develop a
strategy for extracting the important problem cause data into OTRS and expire
the old information.

Otherwise, you're facing writing a custom import tool. I doubt your old entries
look enough like OTRS entries that any generic import tool will be possible.