any change you would make to the ticket numbering system's numbering scheme
would also necessitate changes to the numbering scheme parser to
accommodate old tickets.

Can you remove the SystemID? I think it might be possible. Note that *part*
of the idea of the System  ID is that OTRS can talk to different OTRS
systems and maintain same schemes with different systemIDs to tell them
apart. (Prevent ticket number conflict).

Email replies to old [open/new] tickets that don't comply with the new
ticket numbering scheme will likely be considered as new tickets.