There was definitely a major outage with Optus yesterday - not just
internet services, but mobile and landline. roughly 10 hour outage for
effectively their entire consumer network (weirdly, I have an
enterprise service which was not effected by the outage). Definitely
got hit by it - our entire corporate mobile fleet was out the whole
day.

Nobody has given a RFO yet - but I have my doubts it was just BGP
issues. That's speculation at this point.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2023 at 01:21, Jay Ashworth via Outages
<outages@outages.org> wrote:

> Off of Facebook of all places, I hear this report that Optus had a major
> outage in Australia last night, which is believed to have been a BGP screw up
> involving Akamai:
>
> "Nope: it was Akamai increasing their advertised prefix count from their cdn
> nodes inside the Optus network, and Optus’s configured max-prefix settings on
> their core bgp sessions from their route reflectors weren’t quite high enough
> and their whole network went down.  Someone didn’t quite think through the
> value for internal max-prefix rules.."
>
> Anybody confirm, deny, got hit by it?
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --

veg·e·tar·i·an:
Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride