Muchísimas gracias, Ignacio; ahora sí se visualiza correctamente.

float/clear es una cosa que no acabo de entender correctamente,
sinceramente.

Y, acerca de lo que dices del campo label, siento llevarte la contraria:
span es "phrasing content" e input es "labelable", así que creo que es
correcto.

Content model:
     Phrasing content, but with no descendant labelable form-associated
elements unless it is the element's labeled control, and no descendant
label elements.
[...]
The label represents a caption in a user interface. The caption can be
associated with a specific form control, known as the label  element's
labeled control, either using for attribute, or by putting the form
control inside the label element itself.
[...]
If the for attribute is not specified, but the label element has a
labelable form-associated element descendant, then the first such
descendant in tree order is the label  element's labeled control.

esto es del draft de html5, pero en...
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#h-17.9 Veo
esto:

In this example, we implicitly associate two labels with two text input
controls:

<FORM action="..." method="post">
<P>
<LABEL>