On 4/12/19 3:38 PM, Aaron Conole wrote:
Hi Mark,

Mark Michelson <mmich...@redhat.com> writes:

I've once again rolled another OVN/OVS split version. It can be found
at https://github.com/putnopvut/ovn_mk2.git

The main changes between this and the old split POC are as follows:

* This is based on a much newer build of OVS master. Therefore, build
errors people had with dhparams.c *should* be cleared up.

* This fixes errors with manpages.mk generation/checking, so there is
no need to do a pointless `touch` of manpages.mk during the build
process.

* In many cases, rather than hard-coding paths to OVS, we use
variables. This isn't universally applied, but it's used for the
locations of C headers, libraries, and manpages.

Sorry for the late reply Aaron. Your reply got filtered to a folder I wasn't expecting.

A logical extension of these variables might be to move to incorporate
the pkgconfig files that OVS installs.  We may need to generate some
additional pkgconfig files for some components (maybe..) in OvS.

But something like:

+PKG_CHECK_MODULES([OVS], [libopenvswitch])
+ >
in your configure.ac at OVN (with openvswitch being installed) means we
get an even weaker coupling between the projects.  This would give all
the flags, options, etc. that are needed.

I'll have to do some research into pkgconfig since I'm not familiar with it, but based on what you're saying, this could be a very good idea.

I think there may be some internal headers that need to be exposed
externally (moved to include/openvswitch/).  Some of the common manpage
includes will need to be shared (installed somewhere that they can be
referenced) by the openvswitch installer.

Yes, right now some headers are in lib/ and others are in include/openvswitch/ . I'm not sure what the current rules are regarding which headers go in which directory. But it probably makes sense to have all of them (if possible) in include/openvswitch/ .

Agreed on the common manpage includes as well.

WDYT?  I have started a quick mock-up.  If I can spend more time next
week on it I will, but can't promise anything.

Sure, can you point me to the mock-up? I'd love to take a look at it.

Please give this a look and let me know what you think.