On 7/8/22 17:37, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 1:53 AM David Marchand <david.march...@redhat.com
> <mailto:david.march...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 11:21 PM Gregory Rose <gvrose8...@gmail.com
> <mailto:gvrose8...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > > xenserver/openvswitch-xen.spec.in <http://openvswitch-xen.spec.in>
>     >
>     > This is a bit of an issue.  Does anyone even use xenserver anymore?
>     > All of the documentation and build instructions are really old and
>     > I wonder of they work anymore.   I have no xenserver  build environment
>     > to  test  any changes.
>
>     Same for me.
>
>     Ben, Ilya, do you know if this xenserver packaging still has users?
>     The last comment about it was in 2017.
>     fefb757ce408 ("debian, xenserver: Update logrotate config to match RHEL.")
>
>     Should we keep on updating it? or can we simply drop support for
>     xenserver packaging?
>
> I'd be inclined to drop it. I have heard so little about xenserver (or XCP,
> which
> I think is its successor) over the last few years. It makes me a bit sad,
> since
> that's where Open vSwitch started out (in a few cases I literally had to
> disassemble bits of its binaries to understand what was going on), but the
> world moves on.

It seems like there is a newer open-source XCP-ng project that is
more or less active.  There is also proprietary Citrix Hypervisor,
of course.  Both seems to have OVS as a default networking solution
and both seems to use some version of OVS 2.5.3.  Here is a repo
for XCP-ng one:
  https://github.com/xcp-ng-rpms/openvswitch

They are not using our spec file though.  And have some custom
patches on top.  Not sure about Citrix Hypervisor, but I found some
more or less recent security hotfixes referencing openvswitch package
like this one:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX306423/hotfix-xs82e022-for-citrix-hypervisor-82

So, yes, someone is still using it, but they are using about 5 year
old version at this point and they are not using upstream spec file.

Maybe the removal is a right thing to do.  We can re-introduce the
scripts and spec files later if someone from aforementioned
projects will want to maintain them.  For now, I agree that xenserver
is not a priority, as all the xenserver users seems to use boxed
versions of openvswitch provided by XCP-ng or Citrix anyway.  These
projects can maintain their own variants if needed.  The code will
remain on 2.17 branch for a next few years, if some of these projects
will decide to upgrade.

Thoughts?

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.