On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 7:55 AM Dumitru Ceara <dce...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 5/17/23 18:46, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> > Thank you Dumitru! See below.
> >
> > On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 9:41 AM Dumitru Ceara <dce...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> I'm not necessarily rejecting this change.  I just wanted to bring up an
> >> alternative approach (I'm not sure if it's possible to implement it
> >> though):
> >>
> >> The CMS (e.g., Neutron) probably knows before hand the reduced MTU value
> >> it should impose on the localnet port.  That means it might be possible
> >> to just implement all this through logical flows that use
> >> 'check_pkt_larger()'.
> >>

> > I think I mentioned this alternative in my cover letter for the
> > series. (At least one of the variations.)
> >
> > I don't understand the specifics of what you are describing here
> > though. Yes, CMS may do calculations for the "desired path MTU". But
> > what's the mechanism for CMS to pass this information down to the OVN
> > controller? ACL? I don't think the space of possible actions that
> > would allow CMS itself to define the behavior is available to CMS.
> >
> > Perhaps you mean (as I think we discussed before in private) the
> > approach where OVN northd creates Logical_Flow objects that would
> > implement the behavior. If so, yes that could be possible. But note
> > that northd doesn't know the desired path MTU (because it's not CMS
> > and OVN northbound database API doesn't support MTU primitive for
> > ports.) So the best we could do in the alternative way is implement
> > half of the solution via Logical_Flow (the one that sends ICMP replies
> > for "too-big" frames), leaving the other half (tagging the "too-big"
> > frames based on interface MTU for processing by the Logical_Flows) to
> > OVN controller. I think I listed this variation of the approach in my
> > cover letter, but please let me know if it's not sufficient.
> >
> > (The split could be avoided if OVN adds a MTU attribute to its ports.
> > But I of course am not trying to tackle this in this series, for
> > obvious reasons. But MTU for ports is - in my mind - a worthy feature
> > to have in OVN, if you ask me.)
>
> I was referring to this last part: adding MTU for ports and ovn-northd
> translating those to logical flows that use check_pkt_larger() and set
> REGBIT_PKT_LARGER.  I was also hoping to see logical flows that generate
> the ICMP error packets.  But there's indeed no obvious way of doing that
> because we need to act only on traffic that's destined to remote
> hypervisors and that's not really an ovn-northd concept but more of an
> ovn-controller one.
>
> If we go for your current approach and later add MTU for OVN ports, do
> we need to be careful now in order to avoid complicated upgrades later?

I'm trying to think what complications could arise. Isn't it just
generating effectively the same flows, now via Logical_Flow path? The
flows act on local frames generated by regular VIF ports, so it
shouldn't affect the rest of cluster that e.g. some of them are
generated by Logical_Flow path and some through the proposed solution.
Or am I talking about something else?