On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:57 PM Numan Siddique <num...@ovn.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 12:02 AM Shivaram Mysore
> <shivaram.mys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > No need to indicate "built on Ubuntu" for docker image tags.
> > Alpine tag is specifically used as it used different libraries and image
> size is small.  Ideally, for Docker images, we should use Alpine Linux.  If
> OVS for Alpine is latest, then image size will be further reduced.
> >
> > Note thAt at the end of the day, container is just a delivery or
> packaging vehicle.
> >
> > /Shivaram
> > ::Sent from my mobile device::
> >
> > On Nov 12, 2019, at 9:49 AM, aginwala <aginw...@asu.edu> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks Shivaram:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 9:28 AM Shivaram Mysore <
> shivaram.mys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am not sure why "*_debian" is used.  The image should work across
> OS.  I have not seen use of  "*_linux"  as most docker images use some form
> of shell scripts.
> >>
> > Because the container image published is ubuntu and hence we tagged it
> with _debian. It doesn't indicate it will not work on rhel. If we all agree
> we can remove the tags and update the readme.md on docker.io that each
> container image is using ubuntu as base image. I am fine with any approach.
> >>
> >> Also, in my opinion, the docker image should not build OVS.  If it can
> add appropriate OVS packages like
> https://github.com/servicefractal/ovs/blob/master/Dockerfile is better as
> they are already tested.   Building OVS as a part of this will cause more
> testing impacts and is unnecessary.  The objective is to run OVS in a
> container image.  I would keep it simple.
>
> I think the idea was to have an OVS container image with the latest
> master code right Aliasgar ?

Yes. E.g ovs docker image for ovs release 2.12.0 with debian/rhel will
checkout v2.12.0 code from git and build it. That way source code will
exist in docker image from which ovs2.12.0 will be installed on that
container.

> Getting OVS packages is good, but then the debian/ubuntu/fedora
> packages  should be updated as soon as OVS does a release.

You mean to say e.g install with dpkg -i for latest version pushed using
*2.12.0.deb for debian and skip building from source Code?

So I think the open question now is;  do we want to have source code in
version specific container image with ovs installed from source code or we
just need version specific ovs installed without source in the container?

Thanks