Thanks for the info,
I think I do have awk (gawk),

~> awk -W version
GNU Awk 3.1.4
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-2003 Free Software Foundation.

Maybe it isn't working as expected in this make tree for some reason.

I wrote another reply to my own message  saying what fix I did find
(a link to the version.h in the mipsel-linux tools tree)

This version.h contains

#define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.20"
#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132116
#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

which ties up with the info you suggested.

Paul Hilton