Hi.  I've been pretty quiet on this list so far, so I feel a bit awkward
jumping in right here.  Anyways, I have another suggestion for
identifying aggregates.  You can put an EPROM device such as the DS2505
into each aggregate device and place information on that EPROM
describing the components on that device.

Hm. I don't see a big benefit over the unique IDs all devices have. You still have to maintain a database of serial numbers. The crucial part is to get the same label *into* the hardware and *onto* the hardware. I does not matter which data is placed on the label, it just has to be unique.

The advantage is with this method, you only need to recognize the DS2505. Once you read the data off the DS2505, you can use that information to logically cluster the rest of the devices.

Perhaps I wasn't completely clear on my idea... When you build the aggregate device, the DS2505 would be programmed with the addresses (serial numbers) of each individual component in the aggregate device. Then, when you later discover a 2505 on the bus, you read the data out of it to obtain the list of addresses (serial numbers) of the individual components in that aggregate device. Now, the only serial number you need to know to identify the aggregate device is the serial number of the DS2505.

ttyl
srw