[In a message on Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:31:22 PDT,
  ""Wright, Ryan P"" wrote:]
>I could use a little help with the design of my 1-wire network. My
>intention is to build a temperature sensing grid throughout a data
>center using several hundred sensors.

Several hundred sensors?

Most data centers will run out of floor space before you can put that
many racks in the room!

We haven't seen much "value" in a sensor per machine.. the air is so mixed
by the fans in the box that you really can't predict much about what is going
on with a given machine in the rack.

You don't want to put sensors inside the machines, because you will block, a
possibly "significant", amount of airflow with the sensor.

Our best luck has been a sensor per rack and a "grid" of sensors on the
ceiling.

Putting a sensor on the input and output of the air handlers gives us and
idea of how much "work" the AC's are doing... and is the canary in the
mine for AC problems. If the deltaT approaches zero and the room temp isn't
below the set point of the thermostat, you have had an AC failure!

We have "never" had an instance where the load on the room was zero.. so
we have always needed cooling, even in the winter. We have had some "near
zero" loads.. but it's been when we had a major machine room shutdown.. and
even then the deltaT was always negative.

With the "one sensor per rack" we spot overloaded racks.

With the ceiling grid we spot areas where we need more "holes" in the
floor.. and

with the AC delta t we spot ac problems....

With a couple of hundred machines we only have about 40 racks.

We can easily scan our entire collection in less than a minute.. and
we log temps every 5 minutes. (RRD handles the average duties.)

We alarm if we get three successive readings above a threshold temp... and
will take either three readings from different sensors in the same
scan or three readings from the "same" sensor on successive scans as
sufficient to trigger an alarm.

Three on one scan says the whole room is getting hot. Three on successive
scans from the "same" sensor says that one rack is getting hot. Either way,
it's an issue we need to look into.. and it has prevented "all" false
alarms due to one hot reading on one sensor. (On the raw data, we would
get a couple of "spikes" in a given month.. probably due to glitched readings.)

Given that it takes about 40 minutes to get someone on site.. 15 minutes to
trigger the alarm isn't a significant time period. (We don't have operators
on duty 24 hours per day.)

The biggest "step" we see in our sensor grid is when someone opens the
back door to a rack, and cool air is mixed in with the exhaust air. (an
open door is good for 7 to 15 degrees F depending on which rack.)

Try instrumenting one rack "all over the place" and another just at
the exhaust and see if you can convince yourself that you can see something
of value in any given reading change before you commit to putting dozens of
sensors in every rack.

Another interesting experiment is putting a dozen sensors in a closed ice
chest (no ice) and watching the results... There is a delta t, even in
a fairly isothermal box.... which ones' right? Some of this may be due to
self heating in the sensors.. (Yes, doing a reading does cause some
energy to be expended the the chip.. more readings.. more heat.... this
effect is probably worse on powered loops than parasitic power..)

Our most useful reading for alarms is the deltaT on the airhandler.. it's
where the first indication of an AC problem shows up.

Steve