I agree... 3 attempts are perhaps not necessary. If it fails it should
only be necessary to try 1 attempt and then return "read-error", since
it's not possible to retry the old on-going operation anyway.

I tried to start owserver to /dev/ttyS0 and then launch minicom on
/dev/ttyS0 too. This will trig the read errors at once since minicom
set the speed to 19200 baud and they will probably grab some chars
each... :)

When minicom exits everything initialize and owserver works again.
I noticed one bug with oldSerialTio on COM_open() which should be
separate for each serial port though.

/Christian