Am Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2006 03:28 schrieb Paul Alfille:

> > I'm impressed. You certainly figured out the code style.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. We "read_ROM" and get a positlve result if any devices exist on the
> > selected path?
>
> You currently return the name a of single device. And error if there are
> none, or more than one.
>
> What do you really intend? Do you want to know if there are
> A. exactly 1 (and it's number) ?
> B more than 0 ?
> C more than 1 ?

The "read ROM" onewire command will either return the ID of the single
connected device, obviously nothing if no slave is connected, or just plain
garbarge if more than a single slave is connected.

I'm after the ID, it saves me from doing a "search ROM". The "no chip
connected" situation should return an empty string instead of
FF.FFFFFFFFFFFF, just like reading "uncached" would do. I will try to
implement it today.

It would be nice if we could tell apart the return of "garbage", but I'm
currently having problems to identify this situation. In addition, it doesn't
seem to be possible to return errors like -ENODEV in aREAD_FUNCTIONs.

> > 2. Should we use a name like "not_empty" or "search" ?

"search" would be a clear misnomer to me, as there is a "search ROM" command,
and "read_ROM" is there to *avoid* the need to issue a "search ROM".

Maybe just "simultaneous/id" (and r_id, of course)?

Kind regards

        Jan