On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Rob Fugina <rob.fug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope this isn't too off-topic for the group.  If it is, please
> direct me somewhere else.
>
> I need to get some 1-wire weather instruments mounted away from my
> house, on a post about 75 ft away.  This worries me because of how the
> system basically becomes an antenna.  Nearby lightning strikes would
> wreak havok back at the bus master.  AAG seems to have recognized this
> problem, as the bus master they ship with their weather station is
> optically isolated.  But I don't know if their bus master is supported

It probably is, but hasn't been tested. It depends on how good the OS
support is for that particular serial->usb convertor.

> by owfs...  It's based on a DS2480(B?) chip, which probably means
> their USB device is really a USB-to-RS232 converter in the first
> place...
>
> So I see several possible solutions:
>
> 1)  The risk is negligible, and it's not worth worrying about.  Does
> anybody do something like what I'm describing without problems that
> can testify about it?
>
> 2)  AAG has it right, is the only game in town, and I need to bite the
> bullet, give up real USB, and buy AAG's gear.  Will one owserver
> instance talk to both USB and RS232 bus masters and aggregate the
> results?

One owserver instance will aggregate any number of bus masters, of any kind,
including other owserver instances, local and reote. Magic.

> 3)  Maybe it's not difficult to optically isolate a 1-wire bus.  Does
> anybody have a circuit diagram?
>
> 4)  Last but not least, but probably the most complicated:  Are there
> 1-wire-to-wireless bridge chips/circuits around somewhere?  That would
> prevent me having to bury cable, too, although I'd have to worry about
> how to power the station...

Any of the supported routers (OpenWRT project) can host owserver. You home
machine can then treat the remote machine as an owserver instance.