Hi all,

I have problems with the network timeout in a system with multiple
owservers.

The x86 master and three Raspberry Pi are each one equipped
with a self-made (sources identical) Linux distribution running
owfs-2.9p0. They all have DS9490 host adaptors and all run owservers to
access it. On the master, there is a Tcl application which accesses the
owservers through owtcl. The system runs smoothly as long all components
are there and functional.

But hardware may fail and that isn't handled gracefully enough by owfs
by now. When I pull a network cable to one of the raspis and do

% ow get alarm

on the master or even scan a single bus

% ow get bus.1/alarm

which happens to be "away", that command takes at least some seconds,
but sometimes up to a minute to return. I tried tweaking the
settings/timeout/network parameter, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'd wish that owfs would return *an error* and do it *much sooner*
(<<one second) so I can react to that failure on the application level
before watchdogs on the other hardware on the still working buses trigger.

Question: How to tweak the owserver handling so I get a shorter timeout
and an error message from owfs about the network failure?

Kind regards

        Jan