Am 03.01.2015 um 09:49 schrieb Jan Sennesael:

> @Jan: now i'm a bit surprised, since maxim themselves talk about using
> cat5(e).

Where? If yes, they forgot about all they've written in various
application notes before.

In my own experience, plain flat telephone wire is the best.

> Of course the cable is only used for 1-wire. I use a modified set
> of wiring based on hobbyboards. They use a pair for gnd/1-wire_data. My
> pinout is: 1and2 for +5v and gnd , 3and6 for return of 1-wire_data /
> 1-wire_gnd , 4and5 for the dépard, 7and8 not connected
> But i'll give it a try and use the pairs 7/8 as gnd for this (long) cable!

If you use RJ45 connectors with round mantles, you have the additional
problem the mantle cannot be crimped into the connector plastic
correctly and the contact blades move together with the lose mantle when
plugged into a socket, resulting in lose contacts.

I'd stumbled across this in an installation someone else did with CAT5e
cables. After 5 minutes I had localised the problem. Too bad it was an
8h train ride away. ^.^;

Kind regards

        Jan