Well, to read about it you can look at the documentation, test it out, or
look at the code.

The documentation is organized by the specific 1-wire slave. So the
hobbyboards humidity sensor used to be DS2438-based:
http://owfs.org/index.php?page=ds2438

The newer version are microprocessor based:
http://owfs.org/index.php?page=eeef

All that being said, everything should be fairly self-documenting.

So for one of the Hobbyboards devices, I'd just try it out, see the
directory structure that gets shown, and match it to the Datasheet.

You were asking about how to send specific byte sequences to 1-wire device.
OWFS works at a different level of abstraction -- the functions (like a
temperature reading or limit setting) are shown, but the specific byte
codes are handled behind the scenes.

This is entirely open-source software, so I'll be happy to show you exactly
where in the code something is done,

Did I answer your question?

Paul