Am 29.12.2015 um 16:39 schrieb Ursin Soler:

> By this year (initial release 7/15) Maxim released the DS28E17 [1]
> which is in my oppinion a game changer. This is (to my knowledge) the
> first time a 1-wire slave has been released that allows to connect
> any micro-proc (like Arduino/AVR) in a generic and easy way. Even
> though the DS2408 [2] (1-Wire 8-Channel Addressable Switch) enables
> this as well I would not consider it as easy or simple.
>
> The DS28E17 enables to implement any DIY slave imaginable for e.g.
> home automation like applications, segmentation and extension of
> networks, wireless connections/bridges, etc.
>
> Therefore I would like to proppose to add support for the DS28E17: 1)
> generic interface as for any other chip supported by OWFS 2) bridge
> mode that allows to use a DS28E17 <-> DS2482-100 [3] combination to
> extend a 1-wire network (may be support DS2482-800 too)
>
> I would like to open the discussion here and gather feedback, ideas
> and oppinions. Please contribute - thanks in advance!

I don't get what you mean by "generic interface as for any other chip
supported by OWFS". Do you mean we should provide a framework for
bitbanging arbitrary data through the I²C interface, tunneled through
onewire?

I don't think that's too useful, as there are no I²C drivers working
that way. One had to write their own I²C driver for that special
application and tunneling framework. Sure, it works, but it's incredibly
awful and a lot of unnecessary work, too. There are lots of existing I²C
slave drivers in the kernel and frameworks above it and anyone should
make use of them.

Putting that effort into OWFS by implementing support for some
well-known I²C chips behind the DS28E17 bridge makes it a bit less
awkward to the user but is the same idea all the way.

As the DS28E17 is just another I²C interface tunneled through onewire, I
think it would be best to represent it through /dev/i2c- nodes, which
has to be done by the kernel I²C/w1 subsystems. OWFS integration can
then be done through the "external" mechanism. That may look like taking
the Michigan Left but in my view, to create something universally useful
with the fewest work possible, our efforts should go into the kernel
drivers.

Kind regards

        Jan