Am 25.07.2016 um 22:07 schrieb Mick Sulley:
> I am sure my problems here are due to my lack of understanding of the
> whole build process.
>
> This is a clean install of a RasPi, so no sudo config has occurred.  My
> normal method of install was -
>
> download the file from SourceForge to my desktop.
>
> Copy it to the RasPi and move it to /usr/local/src/

Ah, you can put it anywhere your normal user has access.
It's home directory for example.

> sudo tar zxpf owfs-version

No. This way you untar as root and the resulting files belong to
root, as they have been tared as fake "root".

> cd owfs-version
>
> sudo ./configure
>
> sudo make
>
> sudo make install
>
> My user on the Pi is 'control'.

Then do all but make install without sudo inside /home/control/

> I have added control to the staff group, which is the group for all the
> /usr/local/ directories

This will work, too.

> and can now configure and make, however I still
> get an error with make install as I do not have permission for the /opt/
> directory, which has owner and group = root.
>
> Is there a way around this or do I still have to sudo make install?

No. Install has to be done as root, as it copies the files to their
target locations within the file system.

BY THE WAY, why are you compiling yourself? Raspbian packages
of owfs-3.1p1 are available.

Edit (or create) your /etc/apt/preferences to contain:
Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 300
This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).

Then, add a line
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free
rpi
to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing
repository.

Do an

$ sudo apt-get update

to read the package metadata, then check

$ sudo apt-cache policy

whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then

$ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell

Kind regards

        Jan