On 5 September 2016 at 20:13, Jan Kandziora <j...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 05.09.2016 um 17:23 schrieb Colin Law:
>> As in an earlier thread I am using an DS18B20 directly connected to
>> GPIO pins of a Pi Zero with 1.5k pullup, operating at 3.3v. Owserver
>> is version 3.1p1-6 from raspbian testing.
>>
>> I have specified
>> dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=4
>> and done
>> sudo modprobe w1-gpio pullup=1
>>
>> This basically works, both when connected in parasitic and 3 wire mode
>> but about 1 in 20 reads I get a read error (in both modes).
>>
> That's something you have to take provisions for. OWFS doesn't retry
> itself. I have spurious errors in my machines too (of course, a lot of
> chips and cabling) with I²C and USB host adapters.
>
> With the bitbanging host, I think it's connected to CPU frequency
> scaling and other powersave measures. You could try to disable all this
> and check if it gets better.
>
> But I would just retry. YOu have to in any case for other errors.

My 'production' software does retry.  On other parts of my system I
have used adaptors such as the LinkUSB and get read errors only at a
very low level, below 0.1% I think, so I had not expected it to be 100
times worse.  However I can see that bit-banging is inherently going
to be much less reliable so I will make sure my system can cope with
that.

Thanks

Colin